Saturday, July 7, 2018

N2JNT-6 & N2JNT-8 - The mobile units.

My primary vehicle is the Honda CRV seen above.  There are three antennas feeding through the hatch: two 2 meter 70 cm dual band mag mounts and the Byonics GPS unit and antenna.

 There is a dual band mobile in the vehicle at all times for communication while on the road.  In addition, there is a Byonics Tiny Trac 3 in the cargo carrier for APRS. 

The Byonics unit obtains data from the GPS and transmits the vehicle's position, speed, direction and altitude using a built-in 10-watt transmitter to the APRS system. 


Data from the Byonics unit is received, decoded and retransmitted to local digipeaters or iGate stations, which upload the data to APRS-IS.  Position information obtained by this data is available worldwide on the APRS network.





My secondary vehicle is a Honda Civic which also has a Byonics Tiny Trac 3 installed for APRS.  The antenna is a chocolate drop dual band that came with the unit.


As the FCC allows automatic operation of packet transmissions by amateur radio operators both vehicles can be on the road simultaneously, as the transmitter is operating under the privileges granted by my license and I am responsible for the operation of the unit.

My wife is the primary operator of the Civic and it gives me a lot of peace of mind knowing where she is,  and as I listen to police reports I can direct her around traffic hazards and congestion. 







No comments:

Post a Comment