Wednesday, July 11, 2018

N2JNT-9 - Using APRS 51Track X1C-2

Often I go hiking in the woods, just for the enjoyment of the outdoors or to place or retrieve my trail cameras.

As a precaution, I carry an APRS tracker so my family will know my whereabouts in case I get into trouble.  

The tracker I use is APRS 51 X1C-2 and an 8-watt Baofeng UV5R.  I find that the larger antenna works best for long-range tracking but it is sort of cumbersome.
If I am carrying my camera equipment I strap the system to my backpack, if I am just hiking I use a tactical bra, shown above. 


The icon displays a red vehicle instead of a hiker, but changing the icon is very involved so I decided to leave it alone.  Simply getting one of these units to work is an ordeal in itself.  




To illustrate the accuracy of APRS  I have included a photo of a Google map showing the position of my vehicle, N2JNT-8, last evening.  Since the Google satellite image was taken we have added a parking pad to the drive and the icon of my vehicle is within inches of the actual location.








No comments:

Post a Comment